Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Rajan of Happy Book Stall Bandra Hill Road







I have known Rajan the owner of Happy Book Stall since the time I stayed at Bandra at De Monte Street ..to come to Hill Road I had to come via Chinchpokli Road that is right opposite his bookshop .
Most of us Bandraites book readers lovers spent hours at his shop and he never objected ..I bought my books from him and we have known each other since the 80 s .His shop is over 70 years old he has been handling it for over 40 years ..the picture of his father watches over this iconic shop full of memories .
But Rajan is disappointed the future on books is very bleak even Danai at Khar closed down ...this place is prime property Bandra Hill Road ..I too once had my workplace down this road the rentals here are very high and while I was chatting with him not a single footfall
He is giving discounts on certain genre of books is a very good conversationalist humble polite and it saddened me to hear him speak out his pain .
His son helps him out in the afternoon ...and whenever I pass this way I make it a point to wish him and talk to him .
He was surprised when I took his picture but I assured him people would love to see him and remember their days at his shop ..I told him I would be posting his pictures at Facebook ..
The words came later ...and even if you people have stopped reading books at least inculcate the love of books to your children your grandchildren ..books are expensive but the crispy touch of the pages and the feel of the book besides the content can add a dimension to the personality of your ward .
We are alive with the memories of the books we read ..they really made us what we are today ....the books I read Dickens Balzac Dostoevsky instilled a desire in me shooting pictures on the steets ..I shoot Dickensian characters in Mumbai I search for Mr Micawber and among the crotchety Muslim Beggars I eventually find Mr Uriah Heep ..I meet the East Indian lady unmarried waiting for her Prince Charming and I am reminded of Aunt Peggoty . And the overweight sweeper boy at Bandra bazaar reminds me of the Fat Boy from Pickwick Papers .I shoot storyboards of Balzacs Humaine Comedy on the streets I shoot the Prince I shoot the Idiot ..
This is my tribute to Rajan my dear friend caught in a time wrap at Happy Book Stall Bandra Hill Road .

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube