Monday, November 9, 2015

The Dhobis Of Bandra Bazar Road




He stays at Bandra but I see him every morning going to deliver the washed clothes to his clients at Bandra Reclamation I greet him with Jai Shree Ram .. he acknowledges my greeting but wonders why I shoot him.

So one day I told him I write stories of the common man of Bandra humble souls like him with my camera ,,and the Dhobis are also old residents of Bandra like the butchers and the Kathiawadis and the Marwari merchants and the Gujrati provision store owners ,, most of them are here since 100 years or so.

I am not a historian nor am I am Bandra born I came here relocated to Bandra Bazar since 25 years or more ..

The Bandra Reclamation was all seaside where the dhobis washed and dried the clothes , and was known as Dhobi Ghat ,,  there was the Bandra abattoir near the Bandra Depot now Shastri Nagar and Bandra Compound.

The East Indians were the earliest original inhabitants but living with them side by side in mutual co existence were these other communities ,,

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube