Friday, September 25, 2015

Memories Etched In Blood




I shot him many years back on Eid ,, Bakra Eid and I was fascinated by blood gore , I shot goat bull Kurbani ,,,I also shot the goat kurbani in the slums ,, but this year my taste for shooting blood and gore has subsided ,, After I came back shooting the Eid Al Adha Namaz 2015 at Bandra Station I requested the owner of Mastan the Wise Goat of Bandra Bazar Road to call me as soon as Mastan was to be slaughtered , Mastan is a huge white Andu goat , a very horny goat and no pun intended ,,I shot Mastans video on You Tube a few months back , he was fed pista , kaju and the best of dry fruits pampered by the owner , who treated him like his only child ,, and I used to wonder how he would feel when the time came for Mastan to be slaughtered ,
I was uploading my Eid Namaz pictures and after a lunch of chickn biryani and Lucknowi flat kebabs I fell asleep .. till my wife woke me up that guys had come to inform me that Mastan was going to be slaughtered so I got ready to go and shoot the Last Moments of Mastan .. I took my granddaughter Marziya Shakir she has been shooting Kurbani since the age of 3.. so blood does not really scare her as such.
Mastan died terribly as the Maulana who was to give the Sala the first stroke could not handle this huge goat despite half a dozen guys holding it and the Maulana had got a knife that must have lost its razors edge ,,Maulanas here in Bandra make extra bucks doing the Salla plus they take the skin too..
I shot two videos and Mastan after the first bad stroke was not willing to die ,,this is my Bakra Eid Kurbani rendition.. two video and some stills will post after I finish the storyboard of my Eid Namaz , documentary..
Many years back I shot a Kurbani of a red and white Goat Jimba ,, it was Marziyas favorite pet it was under the care of Mohomed Ali the owner of Mastan but was slaughtered by his brother in the Indraji Nagar slums ,, and it was one very sad story of his slaughter I shot in pictures ,, even Jimba did not die easily looking deep into my eyes searching desperately for Marziya in the crowds ,,
And when I reached home I told Marziya she was 3 year old that Jimba was no more all Marziya did mystically put her hand on her throat indicating that Jimba was slaughtered ,, so I took Marziya now 7 year old to show her the Kurbani of Mastan.. not an easy visual too see feel or experience ,,

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube