Monday, August 10, 2015

Unlearning Photography




The most important thing in modern photojournalism the hackneyed attitude of photo editors must change ,,,the attitude changes if you have editors in the mold and caliber of Pablo Bartholomew I was lucky to imbibe something from him much before the desire of becoming a street photographer was born in my restless soul..I knew nothing about photography at all working as a fashion coordinator in the 80 s at Mudra Communications Court House Dhobi Talao ..watching him and others like Suresh Sheth , Suresh Cordo, Adrian Stevens , Chin Win Lee, Mr Oberoi of Daulat building Colaba , Nadish Naoroji Mr Shantanu Sheory, at work..helped me in more ways than one..
The earliest photographer 1955 was a guy called Dayal who came on a cycle , he stayed near Defense Cinema RC Church , he shot family pictures and did photo shoots for veteran actor Chandrashekar sab,,
Than in the 70s when I worked for the Burlington group at Oberoi Sheraton it was great old man Mr Ken Lynn society photographer ,,
Later when I joined Prachins a fashion store belonging to Mr Nitin Manmohan I met the famous Bollywood masters Rakesh Shrestha Harish Daftary and many others I had no interest at all in photography .. it came several years later to get rid of my alcohol dependence the mind doctor wanted me to get hooked to something more intoxicating I took up the camera very late in life ..the rest is all in my archives at Flickr ,, thanks to my camera club PSI my gurus Mr KG Maheshwari Prof Jatkar and Shreekant Malushte sir .
And the process of unlearning photography continues through my photographer friends mentor guides at Flickr ,, and I am inspired by young amateur photographers young new lot of photo journalists ,,this is the breath of fresh air we all need and I must reiterate it was the newspapers that pushed the envelop a step further to learn photography ..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube