Monday, August 3, 2015

The Street Barbers of Bandra Reclamation










Firstly I hear a lot of photographers grumbling there is nothing to shoot in Mumbai and than I want to tell them if you are a storyteller , than there are a million stories to be told through pictures in Mumbai.
I am a people and street photographer I shoot a storyboard , and I think this storyboard attitude pushed me into shooting videos ..
I have been fascinated by street barbers and I shot them on all my trips , I shot them at the Maha Kumb banks of the Ganges ..I was more fascinated by religious tonsure , mundan and I shot this too at my house with my grandkids the ritual being called Akika ..I shot barbers and included them in a set here at Flickr .Barbers Barberism Religious Tonsure ,,
The largest number of barbers I shoot every year at Banganga Walkeshwar during Pitru Paksha...and this is religious tonsure to appease the soul of departed ancestors.
Most of the street barbers in Bandra know me as they also come to Banganga .. mostly the Hindu barbers and the Muslim barbers .
My most interesting religious tonsure pictures I shot of a newly married couple .. they had made a vow to the Holy Saint Of Haji Malang .if they got married they would both shave of their heads they did ,, I was lucky to shoot them.
Maybe it was my friend Cory Walia who put this fascination into my being as he used to style my hair , than Diana an English lady who nurtured my dreads and extensions .
I have over 600 sets on various people , ethnicity , religion , rituals at Flickr .

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube