Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Iconic Street Barbers Of Bandra






Perhaps in Bandra I dont think there is any street barber that does not know me ..I dont know their names but I shoot them prolifically ,,poetically ..and than add their pictorial to my set at Flickr called Barbers Barberism and Religious Tonsure..barring circumcision I have shot most of the rituals involving barbers .
I have shot them in Mumbai at the Maha Kumbh Allahabad and the at Banganga Walkeshwar during Pitru Paksha ,,barbers and bald heads ..I shot mundan at Haji Malang and other holy shrines ..a strand is offered to the Holy Saint ,, and jaggery equivalent to the weight of the child known as Tolabar .
Many a barber I shoot at Bandra finally end up shaving heads at Banganga ,, and most of the barbers at Bandra are Muslims ,,
The most iconic are the Barbers Of Bandra Reclamation a few from UP and a few from Bihar happily cutting hair shaving the migrant rickshawalas of Lal Mitti.
They are cheap and best most of them cut hair on credit ,,as they get paid at the end of the month from the salaried workers of this area.
The Muslim Mundan is called Akika ..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube