Sunday, July 12, 2015

What Was He Thinking While I Was Shooting Him



Perhaps foreigners if they did come up these mountains might have been intrigued by his simplicity his rugged lifestyle ,, might have been curious seeing him selling cheap fake gemstones , not the real thing..duplicates of expensive stones and the poor mans agate a stone in great demand among the poor Muslim pilgrims ,,
He was actually looking at the stones round my neck and on my fingers part of a rare exotic collection,,,he showed no emotion , no envy , he was happy selling his stuff,,,these are men who became bawas fakirs gave up family life and retreated into the mountains , but because they did not want to beg, they bought these stones and earned their daily bread.
Dealing in stones made them healers , exorcists and they did dua tawiz .. removing evil spirits from possessed bodies ,,they lead rustic life , smoke the chillum hashish and in most cases they grow their own hashish up in the mountains for their personal consumption.
Once a year they have a boom during the annual celebrations of the Holy Saint ,,and I had already been initiated as a Malang , he gave me respect ,, but this is a strange alien world ,,they fall sick, but use herbal medicines .. sometimes they are joined by their murids or disciples ,,who take care of them..
This is what I shot and for last two years I have not taken this mountain trail ..I climb the mountains barefeet so it is not a very easy task as such.
But I would rather shoot this than the backwaters of Kerala or or he exotic panoramic places in the Himalayas ,,,

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube