Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Bandra ,,Lives On Beyond Bandra



I read every post and comb every picture by @firoze_shakir. my father was born and raised in india [britishly so] and I was in mumbai myself as a child, although we called it bombay back then. firoze posts mostly of bandra, a wildly eclectic neighborhood nestled against the ocean to the west. as a young boy this is where I first saw the underbelly of the world, the poorest of the poor in the streets toeing the stark lines of a class system that india still struggles with today. and yet bandra as I remember it is the nice part of town. on the outskirts of the city there are mini cities of shacks and shanties almost as far as the eye can see. the sadness can be almost unbearable at times. I hear from friends how much things have changed and I've longed to go back for many years. really I am waiting until my son is old enough to appreciate the trip so that I can take him. in the meantime firoze's pictures keep india fresh for me. such a beautiful and vibrant land and yet so challenged as well.
this morning I ran across an article comparing bandra to new york's lower east side: www.ozy.com/good…/nycs-lower-east-side-in-india/41380
I thought I would share with you today @firoze_shakir. thanks for being my window to a world I will never forget.

Foalsi

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube