Friday, May 8, 2015

Marriammen Feast Juhu Beach 2015 ,,Cheek Piercings




This was the next segment after the morning rituals and animal sacrifice at the Marriammen Temple Nehru Nagar Juhu ..

I came to Juhu beach at about 5 pm searching fr my friend Bhima Davendar , who helps insert the rods in the cheeks of the devotees .. but he was stuck up in the traffic so I shot Shekar of Nehru Nagar ,, pushing the 18 feet rods in the mouths and inserting hooks in the backs of the devotees ,, with the hooks they will pull cars , rickshahs or be hung from trains ,,

I was really not interested in shooting stills as I shot this  event for over 10 years or more instead I shot videos on my mobile phone ,,

Later I shot Shanmukhnanda my friend from Madras Wadi Worli ,, he was also one of the guys helping the devotees insert the rods in their mouths and hooks in the back..

I left from here with Shanmukhnanda , I was walking back to the Marriammen Temple for the ritual of removing of the rods but I was  barefeet tired dehydrated and my blood sugar was making me uneasy as I had not eaten anything ..

This is a long series all part of my Hope And Hindutva series at Flickr,com

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube