Monday, January 12, 2015

The Whippers Of Ma Ambe





Over the years there are  few communities I shot with a passionate zeal.

One of them was the Hijras of India ,,I shot them as a documentary of their life style , and there were many layers of hijras  , the mujra dancer hijras , the beggar hijras , the dance performers at marriages mostly Muslim marriages or Nikah..even circumcisions .The hijras begging in long distance trains as well as locals , the hijra bawas shamans exorcists and the eunuch children all locked up from public view . I also shot the hijra prostitutes of the Mumbai cages red light areas .

Hijras stalk me so I shoot them even now including the hijras and hijra impostors at traffic signals ,, I shot the Hijra Bollwood actresses , and the Hijra reigning queens .. and the old hags .

Next was these Whippers , I shot them their kids wives extensively and at my old workplace near Bandra Waterfield road all of them came to see me including the Hijras , beggar kids Naga Sadhus Rafaees and other exotic ethnicity ..

I left no forwarding address so most even dont know where I am..

I shot the whippers who beat themselves with a thick cloth snakelike whip ,I have whipped myself with their whips overcoming pain and the heaviness of the whip , it has a holistic effect they told me and cures all ailments of the back and neck.

Next I shot the Dabbawalas , I shot them passionately too and most of the Dabbawalas of Bandra know me very well I guess I must be the only one shooting them prolifically ,

You know I shoot Muslim beggars all over India , why Muslim beggars because they are the most backward lot and the rich Muslims use them for Charity to build their homes in Heaven.

I shot Kashmiri migrants who without deformities beg with their young pretty daughters and their womenfolk ,,

I shot Malangs  I am a Malang too I got a call last evening he has invited me to the largest Malang gathering in Madhya Pradesh but I dont think I will make it .

I shot the Rafaees and the spiritual cross dressers known as Sadha Suhagins , or Musa Suhagins bearded all male who dress as women are married have children too.

Than I shot the Gay Pride for a few years including the cross dressers but I stopped shooting it since a few years .

I shot the Naga Sadhus my Guru is a Naga Sadhu from Juna Akhara I shot the last Nasik Kumbh and the Maha Kumbh.

I also document the Shia ethos  the Sufi ethos Hindu rituals and the Christian ethos ..

So these are whippers I shot in 2007


I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube