Sunday, January 4, 2015

Documenting The Rifai Silsila With Late Barsati Bawa





Barsati Bawa was my first rafaee friend those days he had taken a vow of silence ,,he used to speak in sign language it was to last for 11 years but he was going through serious illness , chest ailments and had to break his vow.. a robust rafaee he began to lose weight and was almost skin and bones in the last days .

He was the only one who supported me from rogue rafaees who did no like me shooting their order .. Barsati Bawa was a Murshad for some time but sadly he died suddenly and left a void behind.

He would ask a photographer that took memory shots and blew them up and gave it to them for a nominal amount,,to take our pictures too , making sure of giving me a copy too.. he did not want to impose on me for copies from my camera such was his self respect and humility .

He was one Rafaee I remember fondly and was one of the greatest exponent of body piercing art in his heydays.

This was shot at Haji Malang a Holy Shrine up in the mountains.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube