Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Single Blade Of Shia Chennai Zanjir Matam



The flagellating blades or the Zanjir differ in size and length .

The Shias of Chennai use a single blade cutting their backs very effectively ,

I have shot a guy from Malam who used 36 inches blades at Mumbai Amin Imambada .

The most deadly Mumbai zanji is the hockey stick shaped blade ..

Blades are made from tempered steel and matamdars like Ali Shah Bhai Habib Nasser get their blades custom made ,, the lighter the blade it hit cuts deeper .

I use a dagger instead of flagellating blades because of a frozen shoulder problem one I used Zanji leaping in the air doing Tandav on the Soul of Shimr.

Now since several years I have been cutting my head with a short sword size dagger ,, my daggers are from Pushkar .

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube