Monday, September 22, 2014

Shooting Moharam In Chennai ,, Ashura 10 Moharam




I began shooting Moharam about 15 years back after I took up Photography as a hobby..

My genre was documenting the various cultures rituals in my city Mumbai.. and being a Shia has nothing to do with my shooting Shiasm..
I shot Shiasm mainly to showcase to my non Muslim foreigner friends the world of a Shia during Moharam. and soon it became a passion I tried to shoot the main Moharam days  Ashura Chehlum  in Mumbai.

Than in 2003 or 2004 I shot Moharam in Hyderabad both Ashura and Chehlum  , later shot  Athvi a very important day when Moharam ends in Lucknow and Eid E Zehra the happy Shia day also known as Navi .

I shot Kolkatta Ashura , Hussain tekri Mehmoodabad , Chennai this series in 2010,  and Delhi Ashura with my close American  friend Dr Glenn Losack.

I shot Lucknow Ashura and Chehlum too big huge Shia days in the city of the Nawabs ,, A Shia citadel Nakhas and Kazmain.


This year an eminent French photo journalist wishes to accompany me to shoot Ashura inHyderabad , another Spanish photographer too has shown his inclination , I have no issue as culture should be shared as a human perspective emotions feelings more than its unique religiosity .


And Chennai Ashura is a intense chapter in Ghame Hussain , adults kids bleeding reminding the world of their 1400 year old protest against spiritual terrorism in Islam by the Umayad dynasty under Caliph Yazid .. the accursed butcher of Karbala ..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube