Monday, July 21, 2014

Moods Of Marziya Shakir




Marziya Shakir my first grand daughter was born at Holy Family Hospital 24 November 2007 .. I saw her on the second day at the hospital as there were complications at birth .her umbilical cord had choked her neck I am told .

So from that second day I began shooting her pictures , till the day she came home , I could not resist shooting her , every nuance every mood every detail .. I had never shot any of my kids simply because I was locked up like a genie in a bottle I was an alcoholic and children s birth or growth made no difference to me

But after giving up booze smoking and with the birth of Marziya life changed I found God had given me a second chance at parenting , and I exposed her to the streets , animals , beggars Appu , Moharam, every aspect of life and street life ,,

She was my lucky mascot , if she fell sick life became unendurable , and so from this grand daughter I began evolving , I documented her birthdays , her school life , her moods , and as she started growing , I cut down photographing her , her parents too did not want her exposed on the net.

Than came Nerjis and I shot her less , and Nerjis became the new chapter of my life , and than Zinnia and the pictures are a step to learning as I showed them their lifes album that I had collected for them ..Nerjis will want to see her first birthday or her mundan , and its all there a click away.

Zinnia my third grand child is prettiest and wittiest and though not influenced by my camera can shoot pictures assisted by me .

But all in all Marziya was the lucky talisman of our family she gave us the strength during bad times , good times , and now she is 6 very religious goes for her Koran lessons with her grand ma , and has become reserved ,, she takes care of her sisters .. and has a powerful bond with my wife.

So I always tell friends shoot their kids , so the kids can see moments , bought back to life ,, I could not bring my children s moments back to life but I have bought my grandchildren s moments as a storyboard of nostalgia.

God bestowed me the chance to be a grandfather .. I think I was plumb lucky.
(16 photos)

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube