Friday, June 6, 2014

Documenting The Maha Kumbh The Naga Babas And The Naga Sadhus




I could have left much earlier to shoot the Maha Kumbh , but I had to finish my work load and besides I was short of financial resources ..but I was destined to shoot the Maha Kumbh ,,

I lived with the Naga Sadhus and as my Guru is a Naga Sadhu I had the comforts of a tent , food was free ..but yet when I left Allahabad I gave my Guru some amount for all that he had done for me , it was not much but sufficient  as he had spent a lot for his disciples that came from Mumbai and other parts of Gujrat .

I shot a lot , and I was lucky too shoot the Shahi Snan on Basant Panchami.. I also shot a group of Hijras taking the Holy Dip,..I met great Saints , Tantriks and Aghori Sadhus .

The Maha Kumbh I ca never forget , and I left the following day after  Basant Panchami.. it was the most badly managed Kumbh and if it was successful it was only because of the Sadhu Samaj and the Hindu organizations who put up a great effort despite a poor show by the Uttar Pradesh government ,,

Foreigners were being fleeced , robbed ,, and it was terrible to say the least but media will not write all that ,, the poor thankfully were taken care by the various Akhadas and Sadhu groups.

I got along well with the Naga Sahus , and I looked like a Sadhu myself , people  touching my feet , offering me money to pray for them and bless them.. all what I got as Dakshana charity I gave to the poor  and my Guru.

I had taken woolen kambhal , covering and shawls that I distributed among the shivering poor who slept on the banks of the Sangam...

I met Chandraswamiji he blessed me ..

But I cherish meeting one of the great tantrics from Hardwar Kapoor Khamakhya .. he is a bhakt and follower of Goddess Khamakhya.

My Guru called me Ashok Bhartiya .. the Hindu name he had given to me as he felt it was best I be known as that among the top Naga Sadhus he introduced me to ..I als saw the initiation of Naga Sadhus on Basant Panchaami at Junagadh Akhada , I was told to hide my camera it was a private affair .

I met a lot of Saints Sadhus from various cults , some knew me as the Malang from Ajmer .some I knew from the Nasik Kumbh.

Yes I will shoot the Nasik Kumbh if I am alive ,, it is a moment in my lifes history I would not want to miss .

The  Naga Sadhus those who knew I was a Shia Muslim were very respectful to me , and this respect was beyond the realm of my photography.

There were some sad moments at the Kumbh ..but I savor Gods wish that he wanted me to be there and be a part of my cultural inheritance and my Indianess .

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube