Tuesday, May 27, 2014

This Year I Did Not Shoot The Animal Sacrifice At Nehru Nagar Juhu



I was in the train arriving from Ajmer ,on  May the day of the Marriammen Feast ..

The sacrifice to appease Goddess Marriammen begins at the entrance of her Temple at Juhu Nehru Nagar and is a bloody affair as a a large number of goats are sacrificed by her followers ..

This goes on till afternoon and in the evening the followers devotees assemble at Juhu Beach where their cheeks are pierced with rods and some insert hooks in the back and pull cars trucks etc..or they are hung from pulleys of moving cranes .

In the picture the butcher is Ganesh and assisting him on the right is my friend Davendar Bhima .

I shot the evening piercing rituals as my train reached Bandra Terminus at  4 pm.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube