Friday, October 19, 2012

The Barber Waiting For a Girhak on Pitru Paksh


I had shot 740 images and these are the last ones about 125 , on the Flickr old uploader I dont use the new uploader ..guess I am not used to sudden changes ,,,

I have always been fascinated by barbers perhaps because of the scissors that run in my family my Dad Mohomed Shakir known as Shakir Master was a gents suit trouser cutter, my dad would not cut shirts kurta pajamas .

He cut safaris as that is what the Dons hoodlums of Nagpada wore , my dad made clothes for all the top dons in the 60s Karim Lala , Basu Bhai, Hashu Bhai., Khaliq Bhai, Maxie , Rashid Bawazir now a Bawa ,,,and so many of them that visited our house at Khatau Bhuvan now Jony Castle at Wodehouse Road.. till we shifted to 3 Mohini Mansions Strand Cinema.

I began shooting barbers recently and shot the religious tonsure at Haji Malang of a couple from Andhra , I know that barber and subsequent visits never got to shoot religious tonsure there.

Than I shot my grand daughter Nerjis Asif Shakirs akika , her head being shaved 5 day after her birth..

Even small cities I visit I search for the local barber ,,most of the barbers come from Uttar Pradesh and the barbers in Latur I met were predominantly Maharashtrians ..

At Banganga on Pitru Paksh if you really come early at 4 am you can see hordes of barbers doing religious tonsure I reached late 7 am so most of them had left and once I returned from shooting the Banganga tank there were just a few clusters and this is my last lot before I headed home. on my injured leg that later I found had a hairline fracture .. a very minor one .

I have taken almost 5 days to upload these pictures .. and I will shoot the Bengali Durga Puja from Sunday onwards ..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube