Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Bala The Trusted Shadow of Mr Rajesh Khanna



In England serving his Master for over 35 years he could be called Man Friday or Butler , but here at Ashirwad where he worked devotedly in dedicated auto mode he was known as Bala.
Simply Bala only Bala.

He was the one who called me when Mr Rajesh Khanna needed me for his fittings or new clothes or discuss the look of a film that he was planning to do..and I would leave my other chores to go and see Kakaji.

Bala would meet me at the gate of Ashiwad that has no bell Sir did not like bells so you knocked the door lucky if someone heard you and pulled you inside.

I would remove my footwear meet boss either at the small outhouse in the early days a room with trophies memories , and boss would call the shots.. once I had his famous Makhni Dal and nice neat small chappaties with pickle.

Work was Worship for Kakaji so together we created the Mafia Don look for Don Ke Bad Kaun an incomplete film by Ashok Tyagi Osho and produced by Vijay Sirohi.

I went for the initial muhurat and shootings and shot a few pictures that are now part of a memorable journey.

And this picture with Bala was shoot at the shoot starring Aryaman Ramsay And Aryan Vaid , Raj Premee ..Viswajeet Pradhan..

My son Saif Shakir too had accompanied me as Kakaji needed sartorial satisfaction with his look and he was in his element..

I visited the sets twice .. and he would sit talk to me for hours his other future ventures assignments.

At home he would tell me that he would see that his erstwhile son in law Mr Akshay Kumar too got his wardrobe done by me , but I never thought on those lines I was doing his work to gain experience as fashion is a vast ocean.. you keep on learning ..

And than when he called me to Lilavati Hospitall 1103 it was to keep up his pledge of introducing me to Mr Akshay Kumar , we knew each other from old times old films and we had a common patron Dadhooji Mr Raj Sippy.. Mr Akshay Kumar and Dimpleji were both surprised when I started crying she reprimanded me , but I was crying at the humility of a Superstar even before his death he did not forget his Promise to me .. he called me to his side held my hand and this is the greatness and reminded me of the Anand death scene ..

Babumoshai... Zindagi aur maut ooparwale ke haath me hai jahanpana, jisey na aap badal sakte hain na main”


And this is my tribute to Bala who stood like the Rock of Gibrlater this is Wafa this is Iman this is the Indian Way of Life .. and I called Bala and told him to tell both Dimpleji and Mr Akshay Kumar the reason I did not come to the funeral or the Chautha I am a small man a dwarf.. and I did not want to trespass on the space of the stalwarts of Bollywood I did not want to give a Media byte ... I am happy the role I played with Mr Rajesh Khanna when he was alive I am happy that he touched both my grand daughters Marziya Shakir 4 year old street photographer and Nerjis Asif Shakir one year old who is learning photography on the Canon 60 D.

The Havell tuxedo last dress I made , and his eponymous look has become his sartorial obituary in peace and serenity.

RIP Kakaji

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube