Monday, May 30, 2011

Shooting The Mystique of Marriammen and Her Followers



I fell down to the floor thrice , once here and twice at the beach during the rituals , this is not just about shooting pictures or being a photographer it goes beyond..being a mystic myself..living with naga sadus rafaees and dam madar malangs and hijra bawas..I understand the metaphor of their spirituality the pain they undergo to pierce their cheeks with a 21 feet rod , hooks in the back that pull vans coconut trolleys even kids attach limes on their hands backs stitched with needles in the flesh.


I shot this entire event barefeet with blisters on my feet and I shot the piercings as close as close can be I was tired so I aborted this shoot half way and returned home.

I am very close to the Pujaris sister Laxmi her children her family who treat me like a family member and one of their own..I am a Muslim a Mumbaikar but shooting this event for so many years I have become a half Tamil too.

There is a lot of possession at this feast...

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube