Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Mother Is The Best Says Mona The Child Eunuch

176,148 items / 1,374,721 views


I really dont know the actual string of events but I was told that the night Mona was born a eunuch child she was handed over to the hijras.

And I never was curious to really know the truth of Monas birth , I shoot pictures I shoot pain I shoot life I dont prod people with details of their past.

I am not a story teller per se.


And so many years have passed since I met Mona her mother Babita the hijra beauty in the white dress and her foster father Gopal Haji, but I maintain a sense of decorum , one thing I know I wont ever publish a coffee table book, coffee table books are for the fucked rich and the lazy..

I also know I wont ever be printed as a book of poems leave aside hijra poetry.. so I shoot pictures because I have poetic access to these people , there is no other agenda or gainful purpose or motivation.

I am an incorrigible unforgiving fucked street photographer.

My pictures have come the hard way it was not easy and the senior hijras dont like pesky photographers dressed as sadhus , my normal dress code that luckily has now turned black with old age ...


These are old pictures I shot of the Hijra fashion week at the All India Hijda Sammelan and they were all shot in one single day in a few hours I am fucked trigger happy photographer I dont wait for future opportunities I dont believe in tomorrow so I shoot hijras.. and I doubt if the hijra believes in tomorrows.

Here Mona the eunuch was shooting his Hijra mother with a point and shoot Kodak.

Every year I meet Mona and her family twice a year once at Haji Malang and the next venue Ajmer Sharif.

Monas father Gopal Haji has invited to me many a hijra sammelans but the nature of my profession prevents me from going and photography poetry or blogging is not my profession.

I politely refuse.. I shoot when I do get an opportunity nothing more nothing less.

And luckily the only time I dont need my pseudo Press Card is when I shoot hijras ..though I have a valid Press Card of Bandra Times a local paper of Mr Clarence Gomes my patron saint and benefactor.

And these are old blank posts that I am adding text updating as you cal it bringing them forward on my Flickr photostream...by changing the Exif Data.. of the actual day I posted this picture to the current one.

I learnt this trick from my cousin Glenn Losack..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube