Sunday, March 6, 2011

God Save Garib Nagar From Scavengers And Looters

174,409 items / 1,359,343 views

People in time of need and disaster change as one sees everywhere , the looters scavengers and treasure hunters arrive digging the rubble to find whatever wealth that may belong to others I saw a lot of fights going on between women for possessions of utensils burnt to be of literally no use but worthy as bhangar for some monetary reward , it was sad and I dont want to broach on it.

From the time I shot this on the day after the fire from 6.30 am till about 10.30 am there was no agency to help these people , there was mo one at all save a few Muslim volunteers giving them food and without sounding biased I have seen this also during the aftermath of the Behrampada too, aid to the Muslim denomination in the time of need comes very late .

And I dont think I have the courage to go and shoot this again , their trial and tribulations have just begun, and fate really mocks humanity when self dependent artisans or workers are made homeless and beggars and this is a game of snake and ladders once a but on the top now completely at the bottom of the ladder..

And I am not a journalist nor do I have the inspiration or perseverance to be one but I am a picture man I documented this tragedy from every side walking over the rubble over burnt corrugated sheets , I normally shoot barefeet here I wore slippers but ended up cutting my feet nevertheless.

I tried every position where it was humanly possible to go and mind you this was not a photography assignment but a necessity to show you in sincerity and truthfulness.

And silence is more eloquent than speech on a photo blog the blog talks and you listen as er the communication you have with a tragedy as great as this.. this was a huge area and the victims of the fire have spread all over platform 6 and 7 and as far as Behrampada slums ahead.

And one thing it is not raining in Mumbai or it would be salt on their festered wounds too.

And of course as the elections are round the corner every politician will be here to add points to his languishing political status make hay while the sun shines and this is a political necessity this was one of the greatest vote banks ..you have this in your power the chair to scams and corruption is not far away.

Our political satraps have bodies of gold but feet made of clay.. they are more human than we are their needs are more stronger and I think as a poet I should not envy their station in life.

I wont add too much text on my blogs this documentary overflowing with pain of living in cosmic pain...

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube