Sunday, August 22, 2010

Three Street Smart Idiots


138,746 items / 1,074,415 views

Most of my pictures are moving pictures shot from cabs and auto rickshahs ,,

bald headed
barefeet
with lots of guts
live on a street
in shanty of huts
one stammers
one stutters
one bad words
loves to splurt
word to word
three against
the might
of a herd
three flock
together
like warbling
birds
now going for
hafta wasuli
from roadside
shop keepers
selling iftar fare
fruits jelly falooda
samosas bhajias
dates and custards
their body language
created this poem
three street smart
idiots

I shot these kids from a moving cab, these are kids you will find in any Muslim ghetto or locality,and Ramzan does a lot of good in controlling their bad upbringing in many cases.

I live close to a slum, and the kids almost the same age talk in a lingo laced with abusive words piciked up from the gutters of life or words that the adults use as normal bill of conversational fare , without realizing it is being picked up by the kids,

One of the most common word that begins all conversations in the slums extensively used by kids and I am not making it up, is Aye Loudey which is a dirty slang for the male member ..it is something more abusive in sound and content than dickhead,

And a few days back a person was telling me at least for a month he wont be hearing all this but he was wrong this word and others too reverberate in Muslim pockets and maybe in ghettos were other communities live too,

This was one of the reasons I stopped taking Marziya through the slums to my workplace, but I showed her how kids live for the few months we walked through this gutter of human despair.

Some words like chutiya teri bahen ka , teri ma ka are words that are part of the lexicon of life in every corner or nukkad of slum dwellings ..

You might wonder how I am writing all this, today is my 10 fast I dont keep track, I just fast, this was a subject I had kept in abeyance and the kids pictures without text I posted last night bought out all this ..

There is a marked change in the manner of kids during Ramzan whose parents have bought them up well, you see them rushing for namaz for tarabi and other religious related events.

So in a way it is ones surroundings parentage that makes the kids what they are.

Recently there was an incident that occurred at JJ Colony I did not want to give it much importance but I shall tell you in brief I had come from shooting the Bandra Station Iftar time pictures and cut across the sky walk to enter the Anjuman e Islam lane most of the people know me as thy have seen me shoot pictures and they know I am trying to popularize this lane as a Ramzan food stop.


I was taking a picture of a guy selling nan Muslim flat bread and a guy in his 40s pushed me roughly shouting at me why I was taking the bread sellers picture without permission , I had shot the same bread seller a few days back too, I was about to talk to him when he raised his hand at me, in the meantime a crowd gathered in my support and this local don just slipped away.

In normal situation I would have unleashed my fury too, but Ramzan makes us cool headed and tolerant, tolerance is the Mantra of Peace , we dont hit back fight argue our fast our meditation I am always carrying my prayer beads along with my camera.'


So when I read 60 soldiers killed or some more persons or child killed in Kashmir it breaks my hearts and I know it breaks your heart too, why not show restrain in this cherished noble month that is attributed as Gods own month beats me.

And three kids can in one image unfold so many emotions locked up in silence when I first shot them and now a perpetual text and way of life through a stray thought,

This is a blog it needs no agenda , it maybe purposeless to those who dont understand the street imagery and young urchins on the roads,

So it is not a just picture I shot the criteria of a photographer but I shot an emotional process the only forked path where a blog and photo journalism part ways.

Bloggers are known as failed writers burnt out writers I have no pretensions of becoming a writer and my audience is the man a little more fairer than me I write for him , this is my mind set from the time I became a blogger I wrote for my Buzznet friends Benn Bell and the rest of them , I still write for them but I am lucky some more read me at Facebook and Twitter where I pimp my blogs .

And now it includes the brilliant and witty bloggers from Indi Bloggers too.. and I am mature content in my use of cuss words so use your discretion ,,,

I think we are all grown ups and if you have not grown up wake up and read the Times of India where a child slits his step fathers throat or a ten year old buy rapes a five year old girl..or a twelve year old girl implicates her teacher of rape and molestation for failing her in class and I can go on but I wont..

And I dont know call me a monolithic moron but trusting your pre pubescent daughter or ward with a male tutor without a responsible person in the house is asking for trouble , even tutors carry their libido in gonads that are bigger than a childs school bag that hangs on their back.

You get the gist..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube