Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Lord Ganesha Beckons Me

139,326 items / 1,078,114 views



"Vakratunda Mahaakaaya Suryakotee Sama Prabha
Nirvighnam kuru mey Deva, Sarva kaaryeshu Sarvadaa"


This is my new set at my Flickr phtostream I dedicate it to eminent photographer and curator of Piramal Art Galley Mr Mukesh Parpiani.

. Mukesh Parpiani. Head – Piramal Gallery. (Centre for Photography as an Art Form) ...

I was too meet him yesterday but somehow I forgot it was a public holiday and landed up at NCPA to be told he is not there.

I did not mind the trip it was nostalgic as this area of Nariman Point has a many memories I worked here for some time at the Oberois for Sheraton Treasures a branch of Burlingtons of Bombay group.

Those were the days of Mr Dieter Jannsen Rita Pallitana and Joan Paez.. Lancers Bar Cellar all woven into my head and Kenn Lynn Society photographer,
Mr Leybourne Callaghan also known as Callaghan of Bombay was a regular visitor where I worked .

Anyway after I walked down memory lane I took a bus for Lalbaugh and got off at Ganesh Galli where I spent several hours shoting Mr Rawles Ganesha sculpting workshops and those close to him and finally at Mr Khatus workshop that I have shot for many years now.

This was the first stop at Mr Rawles workshop at Ganesh Gully.


And I dedicated this series to Mr Mukesh Parpiani I have always been an ardent fan of his photo journalism, and had met him several years back at a function to celebrate World Photography Day and who can forget Mr Parpianis capture of Mr Chaggan Bhujbal and the Police officers hat an optical illusory picture that we got to see along with some of his other works at this function where he was being felicitated by other photo journalists.

Last I met Mr Mukesh Parpiani was at Luxculious an exhibition of Shari Students of Mr Girish Mistry.

Shooting Lord Ganesha and I am fasting is not merely shooting pictures it is shooting the ethos of Mumbai it is shooting Hope and Hindutva as a message of Peace Brotherhood Humanity during Ramzan.


I also visited Lal Bagh Cha Raja Hanuman Mandir and spent time with Raju Langewal who invites me to the Lal Bagh Cha Pandal every year a very dear friend and with the Lord I walk barefeet on Ganesh Visarjan till the enD of his journey breaking my fast at Byculla ,...along with the crowds and the volunteers

So if you Google search for Lord Ganesha on cyberspace you will certainly find him at Flickr on my photo stream as a set and as a collection.

This new series will include some street pictures of the ambiance of Lal Bagh area home of the King Of Kings of Mumbai..

Hey Shan Konachi Lalbagh Cha Raja Chi..is the chant and mantra of everyone that awaits for the Lord to arrive on his Golden Throne.

The fragrance of red chillies the turmeric flowers modaks and the statues of Gauri are all lined up in the lanes that you traverse and the best place for street photography..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube