Friday, June 4, 2010

What is The Hijra Thinking?

I met this hijra before she pierced her cheek, her family friend and a brother was with her , her hijra guru and some more relatives.

I never got much time to talk to her and once the rod entered the mouth through the cheek the hijra became silent mute and introspective.

I have met a lot of hijras in the few years I have photographing and documenting the hijra angst.but this hijra I wont forget .

Than there was a Muslim hijra I shot at Ajmer Sharif with a beard dressed in mens clothes dancing away at the doors of the Holy Shrine I went into a trance shooting him while I cried as though a part of me was dead.

Ritualism hits you I went into a trance at the Maryamma Temple at Mahim too..falling to the floor with my cameras.


Hijras are seeped in spirituality and are very devout..I have visited the Hijra cages at Peela House in the red light area and Laxmi Guru , whose disciple is Heena Hijra has a small temple away from the soliciting and sleeping area.

Hijras here have a great respect for each others faith , and Heena is a Muslim and her Guru a Hindu hardly matters and Sufism brings all faith together under one roof of Godliness.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube