Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hardcore Kama Matam Chehlum Mumbai 2010

I have shot this ritual from its inception on the streets of Mumbai I called it the Iraqi Kama Matam of Mumbai, but now after 3 years I think the Kama matam introduced by Habib Nasser and his Anjuman has come of age , has its own identifying significance..

It starts from a lane off Imamwada and ends a little before the Shia cemetery..at Mazagaon, and the men and the kids dont stop cutting their head .

The rituals of sword matam , kama matam and zanjir matam continue within the cemetery after a shot majlis by the Maulana.


I normally try not to participate in the rituals within the cemetery as the bleeding prevents my shooting with the blood not stopping, I am a diabetic.

However I had a tiff with a young uncouth Shia lad , who objected to my photography, I had cut my head on the streets , and here in anger I removed my bandage snatching the dagger from another guys hand leaping into the air I cut my head all over again..

It was my misdoing as all my pictures of this series have gone haywire, with the blood seeping into my lends and camera.

However the guy apologized to me later.

I shot Habibs sword matam and a Bandra boy Riyaz cut himself badly with the sword and was rushed to the hospital for stitches , I thought I would go with him to shoot the stitching of the wounds, but the ambulance had moved away, I had no strength, I too got my wound bandaged by docs of Prince Ali Khan Hospital who had a first aid center on the road.

I threw away the blood soaked winding sheet I was wearing and came home presentable in the presence of my grand daughter Marziya.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube