Saturday, September 26, 2009

My Diabetes

97,265 items / 591,699 views

My late mother Shamim Shakir had diabetes , I was diagnosed with borderline diabetes about 15 years back, it took a turn for the worst as I was an alcoholic too, I gave up booze almost 10 years I have never touched a drop since than , nor do I smoke or do drugs.
I was being treated for diabetes at Nanvati Hospital those days thanks to my dear friend Mr Prakash Pange we shared the same doctor.

However I continued with my medication , till I began cutting my head with a sword for Ashura Moharam rituals , at Lucknow in a segment called Athvi I bled for a very long time I had cut open a blood vessel , but without any injection or medication the grievous wound healed in two days.

I continued cutting myself and also walked on fire a ritual called Ag Ka Matam.
It was at Delhi during Chehlum - Moharam while cutting myself again , someone grabbed my sword from my hand thereby cutting a vital tendon of my hand ..this turned gangrenous on my way to Mumbai, my blood sugar was over 500 so I went to SL Raheja Hospital , and was treated by Dr AG Talwalkar ..

{The wound healed but permanently damaged my right hand I type with one finger of this hand and shoot pictures too , it has taken the shape of a Cobras hood..}

I had to take insulin to bring my sugar down or have my right hand amputated..

I continued with the insulin but stopped visiting the hospital completely..blogging made me stop walking too..I used to walk at Carter Road.

In June this year my son in law Assad Dadan, coaxed me to go for Ayurvedic treatment , I was hesitant but gave in , the lady doctor Dr Rekha J Paralkar of Chembur , was treating him for kidney stones and had successfully got rid of his stones in 3 days simply by intake of Ayurveda medicine.

I met Dr Rekha Paralkar and began my treatment 16 June 2009 ..She promised to bring my blood sugar down and get rid of my dependence on Insulin..gradually.

My blood sugar when I met her was
fasting 179
pp 374

the next visit
fasting 155
pp 162

9 july

fasting 81
pp 192

on 31 july 2009

fasting 96
pp 192

Than came Ramzan where my blood sugar goes haywire I completed 30 days of fasting ,
my blood sugar
yesterday was

fasting 82
pp 150

I take a tablet and a green powder before breakfast and before dinner ..prescribed by her, all my Allopathic medicines she had stopped .
My insulin dosage has reduced considerably from what it was
morning 10 unit
evening 4 unit..

I have placed my faith in her , and on myself too..I am not writing a testimonial for her but this kind lady has helped me a lot I still dont walk ..though my photo shoots could be considered marathon walks in a way..

I shoot pictures to share my cultural inheritance I dont sell pictures and photography as a blog has made me connect with some great people like you..

I would have gone insane without blogging.. It is addictive there is no denying it and can play havoc with family life too..I have manage to walk the tightrope without falling off balance..
This year has not been conducive to me personally or professionally.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube