Friday, August 7, 2009

Shia Shabbarat 2009 Wiladate Imame Zamana

85,869 items / 518,590 views

I start a new series at my Flickr photo stream, Shia Shabbarat 2009 and Wiladate Imam Zamana.

Last night the Shia spent head bowed in prayers at the mosque and than visit to the graveyards , to commemorate and remember the dead , almost akin to All Souls Day.

My wife and my younger daughter in law made halwa puri, than said fatiah to the Imams and later our ancestors..my mothers family , my fathers family including her parents family.
I did not go to town as I normally did as it is far too strenuous in my diabetic state , so I skipped the cemetery visit and the Moghul Masjid celebrations too.

But in the morning at 5 am,wife and I went to the Gateway of India where the birthday of our Twelfth Imam , known as Imame Zamana is celebrated.

A boat called the Bajra comes from Bhaucha Dhakka all decorated and berths at the pier where halwa and puri , sweets , kheer is served , to the male members only.

There are hordes of Shia women who come here to drop the Arizah, a request letter to the Imam , wrapped in flour and thrown to the fish.

This time the berthing of the Bajra was not at its usual place but , from where we catch the evening ferry , the entire area in and around the main Gateway building was cordoned off, there was a huge police presence because of the recent bomb blast.

I was stopped because of my saffron clothes by the cop, but I showed my Pres Card and one of the organizers recognized me just in time..

I found this time , the celebrations were more manageable as a podium was made for the poets , who recite poems appeasing and invoking the love of Ahle Bayt..

From there we walked past Dhanraj Mahal, I showed my wife the place where I began my career with Burlingtons at their ladies boutique , called Treasures of India , and the Alliance Francaise where I learnt French under Alain Ficat my French teacher.And the Bombay Yacht Club where the ex consul of Ireland late Mr Leybourne Callaghan lived...he was my batch mate at the Alliance , celebrity Rugby player fondly known as Callaghan of India.,
I had attended his funeral too, and a memorial service held for him by Cyrus Gazdar.


I showed her Suleiman Chambers where my teacher Mrs Alex stayed , my school - Holy Name High School being in the vicinity.

We had a cup of chai at a Chilya restaurant and than took a cab back home.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube