Monday, August 17, 2009

Queer Azadi Gay Parade Mumbai 2009

I have kept my Dahi Handi pictures in abeyance , pictures I shot in the night of Advocate Ashish Shelars Dahi Handi celebrations at Hill Road Bandra .. I shall post them later.

August 16 2009

I shot the Queer Azadi Gay parade barefeet in the blazing sun to pay tribute to the resilience of the hijra and gay community.

I went there because as a photographer as a blogger and as a pedestrian poet I am dead against Article 377 a travesty of justice against humanity on basis of gender..

This is a very long series 6 GB card and I wont be cross blogging this set to my hijdaeunuchblogs at Wordpress..I have an irreparable injury on my right hand hand , I type with a singe finger , so all my pictures will be housed at Flickr only..

Also this entire series is dedicated to my gay friend Alan Gill Bollywood designer who passed away a few years back, we worked on a lot of films when I was working with Mr Nitin Manmohan of Neha Arts...at his fashion studio called Prachins.

Alan I knew since the early 70's from Gypsy Rose at the Oberoi Sheratons, he Oscar , Mahmood of Mahmood and Leno fame are memories attached nostalgically to my life , I hold them as part of the serenity of my soul.

I will keep text minimum on this series.


The Queer Azadi Gay Parade 2009 began from August Kranti Marg Gowalia Tank.. organized by Humsafar Trust and various other groups of this community.

Ashok Row Kavi was the man of the moment answering a barrage of questions ..and Ashok's charm is very effective ..he was a very happy man from the beginning to the end of the Queer Azadi Gay Parade - it ended peacefully at Girgaum Chowpatty.

Laxmi Narayan Tripathi my hijra guru was there including Celina Jaitley who has championed and supported the gay community..Sambhavna Seth too walked side by side at this parade.

The Hijra contingent was by far the largest with ethnic dance and fun and frolic.

This parade had people from all walks supporting the gay community two Muslim girls in hijab..I shot them too..

Media persons , amateur photographers , electronic media had a field day to day.

Nitin Karani Vivek and other gay activists including the Prince of Raj Pipla..

I met some of my old college friends too Jangoo Fleming ..Dodo..the list is long..

Mr Anand Grover who fought the case against Article 377 in Delhi was exuberant and happy for the gay community , Dolly Thakur too was there..gave me a smile as I had shot her at the Nasik Kumbh .

The Mumbai Police were exemplary in their security arrangement , polite and human to the cause of the gay community..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube