Thursday, August 20, 2009

Blind Ismail Chacha - Dil Hai Hindustani

89,019 items / 539,088 views

Blind Ismail Chacha is 83 years old a passionate nationalist , he was in the Indian Army..941 Corps..he came to my house on 14 August to invite me for the flag hoisting on 15 August our Independence day.

Ismail Chacha has a very colorful history I shall write when I have all the details..
Ismail Chachas father Abdulla Hamdare a Konkani Muslim, was a cook or Khansama in the household of the Nizams of Hyderabad , from there he shifted to Jinnah House working as a cook with the family of Mr Jinnah..
Ismail Chacjha gets nostalgic about those days but he was very small, when the partition took place Mr Jinnah who was fond of Abdulla Hamdares culinary talents asked him to migrate with him and his family to Pakistan, but Abdulla Hamdare would not leave the country of his birth..Mr Jinnah Saab had him employed at Chagla House..

The Hamdares are known as Karais in Bandra and a entire locality existed here, Ismnail Chaha was employed with Port Trust under Mr Sood husband of Kamini Kaushal.

Ismail Chacha worked at the docks and knew Haji Mastan a celebrity figure , who allegedly was the kingpin of the underworld those days..

The Army absorbed Ismail Chacha and he got his salary both from the Port Trust and the Army..Chacha was talking to fast and I dont take notes so these are excerpts of conversation with me..

Ismail Chacha lost both his eyes is retired now on pension, and it is his family heritage of a flag that was used for the hoisting.. at Indra Nagar Bandra.

Rahebar Khan was the chief guest I could not post these pictures earlier..

I will write more about Ismail Chacha and the Jinnah household at a later date..I do not want to upset the BJP like Mr Jaswant Singh....

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube