Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Maryamma Feast 2009

Sacrifice to appease Goddess Kali or her several regional avatars is an integral part of devotion,a tradition that has been coming down the ages in Hinduism..It exists in the Western World too as Paganism...though I am no authority on the subject..Here I miss my friend Dale .and Esta.


This is my new series at Flickr I shot this morning at 7 am for two hours in bad light just in built camera flash..I dedicate this new series to my mentor Dr Glenn Losack MD ..he would give away his limbs just to shoot this - better than me .This is up his alley , I shot this and pretended he was in the crowd , shooting this too..

As a photographer I have no qualms in shooting with others , we may shoot the same thing and yet our pictures will be different..

Many photographers specially the press and those who sell their stuff to Marwari stock agencies differ , they wont share information at all , besides some with the press think they are Gods gift to photo journalism and to photography in general..

So I am happy as a photo blogger who carries the Bandra Samachar Press Card giving it free..and I have built contacts that soon became relationships.. the Head Priest of the Maryamma Temple called me for this event and thank you friend Bhima Davendar too..

Now one request if you are squeamish, avoid this set, and if you are against animal sacrifice , than just skip and move on..

Read me as an internet photo journalist..dont blow my mind with queries that I cant answer..or wont answer.. this is part of my series on Hope and Hindutva..

We Muslims too believe in animal sacrifice but our methods are slightly different..here the animals too are given water and blessed ..the Tamils are a very religious race and perhaps most of them were appeasing the Goddess for Peace in Sri Lanka and safety of their Tamil brothers sisters and the genocide that continues.

Besides goats there was poultry sacrifice ,by the poorer section of the community, others offered cooked rice made on make shift burners , flowers coconuts and turmeric paste.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube