Sunday, January 20, 2008

9 Moharam in Mumbai -Savoy Juloos


9 Moharam in Mumbai -Savoy Juloos
Originally uploaded by firoze shakir photographerno1

This is a Shia lady head bowed in the little Imambada in area called Honda or even its old name Savoy..at Bycyulla. the starting point of one of the most famous 9th Moharam Juloos..There is a namaz, a Majlis recited by Maulana Yasoob Abbas and heavy hard core Kama and Zanjir Matam, I shot this from a first floor parapet of Alisha Mansions thanks to the kindly lady..who gave me permission.this is a Bohra locality, and a Christian lad Jarves Ricardo Fernandes from St Marys School dressed in a black Tshirt looking like a Shia along with his Bohri friends gave me the countdown on the event before it started..later he told me he was a Catholic but knew all about Moharam, and had food in a Bohri Thali..with his Bohra friends.
The Juloos starts from here moves to Zainabia , from Zainabia to Shustri Imambada and than to Amin Imambada finally ending at Fotowat the Iranian Shia stronghold.
I shot 675 pictures, from 7 pm till midnight.
I then came to Kaiser Bagh and finally had to rush home as wife and the kids wanted to go to Rizvis for an all night Moharam vigil..
I am tired will explain this segment through pictures, most of this will be posted at my Flickr photo stream and only a few pictures cross blogged on my other sites..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube