Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Sweet Sadness Of Sculptors Of Lord Ganesha











This evening  I was at my friend Chintans Ganesha workshop at Bandra SV Road and I shot a few frames and a video.. I saw the workers artists working patiently passionately I asked a sculptor what he felt when his work of art left the workshop ...to its ultimate destination of a devotees house or Pandal.. He looked at me and said softly , he felt sad , seeing the Lord go but happy as the Lord that he had created with his two hands would now be a guest at the devotees house till he is immersed in the sea with pomp and festive fair ,
But here the workers , asked me why had I not bought my 3 year old granddaughter Nerjis who shot the Lord and his artisans last year . I told them I had come from  work and I shot all this on my HTC Desire 826.

Shooting the Ganesha workshops in Bandra is very different from shooting the more elaborate and more spread out workshops at Parel or Ganesh Gully or even Chinchpokli.

I know most of the sculptors here in Bandra and shooting Lord Ganesha is holistic exercise ,, seeing him come to life from a ball of clay from the gifted hands of these artisans.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube