Sunday, October 26, 2014

The Tree Of Life ..





Once many years back I had my workspace close to the Bandra Turner Road Traffic signal and as I walked to work I would shoot these kids who begged at this high end traffic signal , this signal was very strategic and important as it connects two shopping hubs of Bandra .. Linking road to Bandra Hill Road via Waterfield Road , and this signal was on a crossroad to connecting Turner Road.

I would pay money to these kids or buy them breakfast and because of my attire my look these kids would call me Shaktiman name of a character in a TV serial.. they were highly imaginative kids ,, they gave a tough competition too the Hijras that begged at this signal too..and they harassed the hijras clapping their hands ..gesturing at them abusively .

The parents of these kids would sit near the signal keeping an eye on them and gambling away whatever money the kids bought in .. most of the kids were made to beg in their birthday suits , and whatever clothes good people gave them were sold and the naked kids laughed running precariously behind the cars .

They also got to eat from the neighboring food joints the leftover foods that  young couples gave them ..and I shot them including their pictures at my Turner Road Traffic Signal set at Flickr .

Sometimes the cops went after them and nabbed them the fine R 1200 or a beggars home and I think the beggar mafia took care of the fines .. there would be silence at the Signal for sometime and they would come back adding to the nuisance level and this affected the few premier jewelry shops near this traffic signal.

I was warned by the parents of these kids not to shoot them , and warning that was a threat to cause me bodily harm but I went on shooting them .. and money did change hands even the cops turned the other way ,, now the kids dont operate at this signal but you can find a newer lot near Pamposh Linking Road signal.

Some of the girls from this community began dressing and behaving like hijras as that bough in more instant money by shaking the bum and clapping their hands ,, the moment they saw as I know them they would curse and run away.

This community lived on a Mound near my house at Rang Sharda but they have moved away ,, they hardly marry , but the girls as young as 14 have children out of wedlock , impregnated by the father brother or close relative ,,

The child born is treated as a commodity , he is drugged and carried on the waist of another child ,, the child is given out on rent to other beggars .. and there is no humanity ..its just money and survival at all costs.

So these beggar children are real tough survivors ,,their fathers drunkards louts mothers lazy bitches who live off these kids ,,

During Diwali Dasshera they make marigold garlands that they sell on the roads ..

And on Independence and Republic day they sell flags ,,

During Mount Mary they beg on the steps each child making over 3000 bucks ,, I am told during the feast peak time.

And dont be surprised to see the older kids in glares tight fitted jeans and mobile phone to boot ,,

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube