Sunday, April 14, 2013

Bullock Cart Race Murud Through The Eyes Of A Poet



I began shooting the Bullock cart races about 8 to 10 years back..

I was introduced to this action sport photography and the art of panning by my photo guru Mr Shreekanth Malushte at Alibagh ..and it was Jayant Dhulap of Alibagh who further eencouraged me to shoot the same .. every year till the sport was banned for animal cruelty.

But this needs explanation.. this race is not for money, the winning gives added respect to the bullock owners.. and strange sometimes the prize is a metal container for drinking water.

The bulls are treated like their own children by the owners fed well , even bought to the racing venue in comfort by trucks .. the owners of the bulls here in Raigad District of Maharashtra treat their bulls like gods with wings.


However as this race takes place during Holi at Alibagh and Gudi Padwa at Murud Janjira it was rogue drunk elements in the crowd who would beat the bullocks with a nail attached stick.. and though every attempt was made by the organizers to stamp out this evil..

So I can tell you that as a photographer shooting this event both at Alibagh and Murud Beach , it is a solemn moment ..I shot a picture once of a bullock cart driver who met with an accident and the bull got injured , he cried he wept on the body of the bull.. who was grievously hurt on one of its leg and was limping..

I have shot an old driver who lost control and was entrapped in the wheel of the bullock cart of the racing bull, and these are moments dangerous moments.

This is the only race with no inkling of gambling at all.

This bullock cart race is the pride of the Maharashtrian ethos.. and its culture that I have documented , I too shoot dangerously standing in the path of the racing bulls ..I have been lucky..

I would not miss this race I was in Gujrat I travelled 16 hours non stop to catch this event at Murud Janjira a very long tiring trip.. I wish the Government of Maharashtra ecourage this sport and make it tourist friendly.. this is a message of peace hope and harmony.

The bulls are expensive , and no owner would harm his bull ..not just an investment but a pride of place in his family.


This is dedicated to my Indiblogger friend Desi Traveler... Jai Ho,

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube