Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Joe Dias The Humble Man- Founder of the 14 Stations of The Cross

228,825 items / 1,916,250 views

This was his 25 year celebrations he fights for the rights of persecuted Christians of India ..he fights a corrupt system , where hate is promoted , churches burnt , crosses demolished , and lives lost..
He wont give up , this frail diminutive man with the inner strength of a million giants ..

When I first met him and began following his cavalcade that was many years back, I followed him , shooting pictures , and he said a few words about me at one of the Stations of the Cross I have never forgotten, he did not take my name , but he said there is one among us who though a non Christian touches Christ with his passion for photography and love for humanity..

And perhaps these words triggered a response to understand the Christian fervour on Good Friday, the spirituality of their Faith I knew I studied in a Convent school , but the physicality of pain was important too and so the following years saw me walking barefeet , and I still remember on one of the Lenten walk the fisherwoman of Vakola washed my burning feet and cleansed me forever..

I became on of them this follower of Imam Hussain a Muslim Shia by birth and ideology, a person who walks on fire cuts his head three times during Moharam , began documenting the Good Friday trial and tribulation in earnest..

And Joe and I meet only once an year .. but if there is any procession of the Christian a protest against the demolition of their crosses shrines I shoot and take part in it, or walk with them in their various marches.

I got my education upbringing from Christians I give them back in humility all I can..

My grand daughter 4 year old Marziya Shakir shoots churches crosses grottos is the least I can say of the heritage of my culture of peace and hope.

Thank you Joe ..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube