Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Beggar Hijras of Mumbai

She saw me from afar , as my cab stood at the Sitla Devi-traffic signal she said she knew me , though I was dressed in a corporate suit, and not my Malang avatar, she had seen me at Sion Koliwada at the cheek piercing feast of Tamil Goddess Marriammen..I was shooting the ritual where Santosh a hijra from Nasik has his cheeks pierced every year..

I inquired about Hijra gully no 1 Kamatpirua hijra queen Sona ..we chatted for a short while than she told me she was broke I gave her ten bucks and the lights went green in between I shot her posing for me on the road...I am bound to the hijras by a cosmic thread of my poetry pathos and photography..

As a poet I give respect I get respect and I am happy for the first time in three years I wont shoot the Queer Azadi Gay Pride .. I have my personal reasons for not shooting it and I adhere by my decision..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube