Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Greastest Show on Earth .. Maryamma Feast Sion Koliwada 2010

127,768 items / 933,123 views

I shot the Sion Koliwada Maryamma Feast 2010 for the first time , and all this belongs to my segment called Hope and Hindutva at Flickr.. A collection of Hindu ethos shot by me barefeet .

I was invited to Sion Koliwada by Raja the rod and hook piercer on 25 May 2010.

This is a very long series I shot from noon till about 9.30pm and luckily the rod piercings and the hooks I did not require flash as there was plenty of light.

It was here I shot the rod piercing of a Hijra who had come to perform this ritual with his Hijra guru from Nasik.

An I shot him almost non stop , he was one brave Hijra on the streets of Sion Koliwada.

Now the most interesting item on the agenda was a guy who was hung to a pulley on a crane with hooks attached to his back and his calf..

From the hooks on his side another guy was hung with hooks on his back..

The top guy is Harish I forgot the younger guys name..they hung precariously and carried on with the procession for about 5 to 6 hours..

I shot all this but aborted the procession before it reached the Maryamma Temple , I did not have the strength or the energy.

There was a German lady who accidentally shooting this event too.

And another photographer called Happy friend of Habib Nasser.

I shot all this on two memory cards total about 6 GB..

Since the three years I have been shooting this event at Juhu Mahim and Worli , this was the most intoxicating and exciting one for me as a incorrigible hardcore street photographer

There was possession her but the slaughter of animals I was told takes the next day after this ritual..

I was called for another Maryamma Feast on 29 May at Sion Koliwada different venue but I gave it a skip, my personal life is in doldrums making me feel uninvolved with my photography.

Peace of mind without stress is required to shoot such events according to me... a lot of stamina and energy too.

I shot this barefeet and in my diabetic condition.

I dedicate this series to my mentor Dr Glenn Losack MD .. a master photographer who has shot all this as Thaipussam in Malaysia..

.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube