Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Bibi Ka Alam Heritage of Hyderabad

The Bibi ka Alam is the most awesome procession on Ahura day in Hyderabad, this year I shot it mid way, but in 2003 I shot it from the Bibi Ka Alawa roof top, and the moment the Alam comes out from the Alawa , the entire are gets charged , the frenzy is totally unimaginable even after six years ,the mourners begin cutting their heads every step the Alam moves towards the caparisoned elephant.
The barricaded courtyard one side the Alam making its exit the other side the zanjir matamdars ..and than the Alam begins its journey from the Alawa till Chaddergaht..

Every are the Alam arrives fresh bouts of head cutting begin, the Alam has precious stones in pouches so the securtiy is impregnable..behind the elephant are Shia youth, police personal , in front cavalry, more security forces..the camels other alms too precede the Bibi Ka Alam.

The scourgings the head cuttings take place behind the Bibi Ka Alam.. it enters winding lanes , and the Alam on the way enters the Bargah of the Holy Prophet , here the cutting and scourging is almost 100 fold.. now you imagine that.

I left the juloos before it reached its final destination , for Shias like me the Shame E Ghariba too holds a very important significance..I dont know how I covered this distance , my feet were bleeding, my head wounds were raw and I returned to the Choti Bargah at midnight..

The following morning I took a train back to Mumbai from Nampally .

I will complete this 1 GB card , than post events of 9 Moharam at the Mir Mousavi Shia cemetery Deira Hyderabad, and the most stunning moments of 8 Moharam at Hussaini Kothi, Choti Bargah and the Bargah.

This was the day I had arrived in Hyderabad

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube