Thursday, July 2, 2009

Mona The Child Eunuch at Ajmer 2009

Mona is a born child eunuch, travesty of her destiny, the night she was born , she was handed over to the hijra community in Delhi.
But Mona is born lucky as she was adopted by Gopal Haji the Nayak of Najafgarh and a hijra mother Babita...affluent wealthy couple.

I met them first several years back at the All India Hijda Sammelan at Park site Vihkroli..and began documenting Monas life among the Hijras, she is their lucky talisman, I meet them every year at Ajmer and Haji Malang..

I requested her father Gopal Haji to put her in a good school , give her the best education,let her rise above her station in life as a Hijra child.

Gopal Haji said he would allot me a large sum of money , to take her under my tutelage, put her in a school I politely refused ..I stay in Mumbai and am merely a photographer , I told him with his political clout and connection he could put her in the best boarding school..but there is a hitch , Mona is a eunuch , needs a special school, where she wont be ragged or looked upon as a stigma..

Indian society is the most racist and lives on the caste system , even in changing governments and changing times.

Mona is a computer expert, and has stored all her pictures, her parents thast I have shot over the years..Mona when dressed as a girl is person unrecognizable..

www.flickr.com/photos/firozeshakir/3513575825/

Mona has another eunuch sibling Nandini, who did not come to the Ajmer Urus 2009.

Her parents are taking Mona to London for a trans gender conference.

Mona is very fond of me, and keeps telling me that once she comes to Mumbai I must take her to Bollwood actors Salman Khan and Sanjay Dutts house, I had done their wardrobe for a Hindi film Chal Mere Bhai.. produced by Nitin Manmohan of Neha Arts.

So Mona is the lifeline of the changing world of the Hijra community..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube