Thursday, December 27, 2007

The Sabri Sufi Solitude


The Sabri Sufi Solitude
Originally uploaded by firoze shakir photographerno1

The Urus celebration of the Sufi Saint Makdoom Shah Baba began on Dec24 .
Normally I never missed this event, walking bare feet from Bandra to Mahim to sit among the Chancawalli Sufis or Rafaees body piercers , as they sit smoke chillum
at the Dhuni or Holy Fire.
This year I decided to stay away from the Rafaee events and the Dhuni because of personal reasons.On Friday I will go and shoot Saqib the Florist friends Sandal , which I shoot every year , the body piercing performed by Firoze Rafaee under the patronage of my friend Fahad Pathan up and coming political youth leader...
I spoke to Saquib, and he was wondering why I was not seen at the Dhuni.Actually I have shot so many meaningless pictures , mostly portraits and the chillum smoking, some of the Bawas dont take kindly to the picture taking.
So my pictorial quest is on a low key, mostly the Turner Road Hijdas, the beggar kids are part of my quintessential street photography.
I was hoping Mr Glenn Losack MD from America , would come down to shoot the body piercing events but he has postponed his India trip.
The birth of my photogenic grand daughter Marziya , has been a a blessing in disguise , shooting her almost a few frames every day soothes my soul.
She is the finest model, she gives me rare gems of her expressions , and she is demanding too , she is a month old so I cant do much in terms of creativity but I manage .
Marziya is a photographers Muse , and inspiration, she is a sight to be seen when the lady masseur gives her a massage and her bath , all amazing episodes of her daily regimen.One picture I do wish to take of hers is in a tiny Hijab..just her eyes...
She has been part of our luck, and she got ha cradle from Shivani my sister in law wife of brother Firdaus.. I got her a pram from Little Kangaroos , a childs shop that belongs to my friends Alok and Arun Lalwani..a unique shop and must a visit for toddlers and new borns..

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube