Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Bhaiyya Laundry Man Mount Mary Bandra



I shot his pictures earlier too he has his stall at the back steps of Mount Mary opposite my old friend Tonys house ..Tony used to sell plants and in our younger days both of us and Ashok from Pali Road another florist wanted to become horticulturists we were dreamers and would source plants from Marol those days I lived in a company flat and had a open space where I grew lots of plants .
Well back to the laundry man he was happy to know I knew his neighbor Tony ..The laundry man is a Hindu but is in awe of Mother Mary he was telling me that people come to visit her from far and wide and here each morning when he wakes up he bows to Mother Mary he says she is like his own Mother Durge and this is the simple spirituality of a simple man ..I began shooting his video I liked his views and his bent of mind .
These are stories that touch me and add to my poetry of life and photography is the means to tell stories I need words to complete my story as I have no formal training in writing I video shoot my stories but than this translation is for my foreigner friends on Flickr and nowadays I blog my restless angst at Facebook and than copy paste to Flickr pimp it further on Twitter and Blogspot .
I think if you have a camera even a mobile phone you don't have to hunt for stories ...stories hunt you out like this laundry man.
A little ahead I met the reformed alcoholics reformed drug users now protected by Mother Mary and part of her Clan ..trying to change their life and with their travails changing lives of other people caught in the vortex of drugs and booze .
I met some nuns from the Vatican and shot their video too.
Mount Mary's basilica touches me deeply ever since I made Bandra my home it was Monsigneur Neris Roderiques who encouraged me allowed me to shoot the New Years Mass from the top and than I am reminded of my dear friend Fabian who tells me you are one Muslim that is one with Christ and than I tell him that it was my Christian school my friends and the priests like Father Leslie Ratus Fr Stephan Nazereth ..at Colaba who helped me in my bad days and when I shifted to Bandra it was Fr Lawrie Serrao Fr Jaun my Jesuit Godfather who have been my pillars of support ...
So a laundry man can push you into the past and bring you back into the present on the wings of a blog .

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube