Monday, January 17, 2011

Pappu Bhai's Kurla Juloos 2011

161,986 items / 1,278,154 views

Pappu Bhai is a very dear friend who organizes this juloos at Kurla and this is a huge juloos with 17 Zuljanas taboots alams and ajumans from almost every corner of Mumbai.

Women children men throng to this awesome juloos , Pappu Bhai cut his head with two daggers simultaneously , and his son Zahoor cut his head too, children adults all took to the kama matam.

Before the head cutting was a majlis , Mamdi with his son and helpers had decorated the17 zuljanas, Munna Bhai from Imamwada came with his contingent of Bibi Sakinas little girls manacled to chains dressed in green..with candles and alams in their little hands.

However the most unusual was the rhythmic zanjir matam , hitting the backs and the chest by an Azamgarh Anjuman Jaffariya.


Because my camera was covered in blood it was tough shooting all this but I managed I was barefeet..

I am placing the 10 Safar Moghul masjid zanjir matam pictures on hold to post this poignant series of pain we call Ghame Hussain.

I am dedicating this series to my American friend mentor Dr Glenn Losack MD who shot this with me in 2008 , he could not make it this year .. so this is shot with his eyes too...

Dr Glenn Losack was missed by the Shias of Mumbai , who respect him for his kindness and the Moharam pictures that he exhibited in Manhattan New York.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube