Wednesday, November 25, 2015

A Grandfather Speaks Out



When I married on 26 November 77 I did not change much I drank I went on destroying myself when I became a father in 1979 nothing changed much two more kids and my life was as meaningless self destructive as ever but the birth of my first granddaughter 24 Nov changed me I gave up booze completely never touched a drop stopped smoking and my life centered around Marziya she was my penance I took care of her and tried to wash my sins of neglecting all my three kids when they needed me more I could not get out of the bottle .Nerjis came soon after and she brightened my life as a Malang than Zinnia my son Saifs daughter the prettiest doll in our house .So grandfather was a gift of a kind understanding forgiving God and now I know I can die peacefully .
Had my grandmother Nazmi Begum widow of Daroga Nabban Sab descendant of Mir Anis decided to leave India with her step sons and family to take the train to Pakistan we would have died a Million deaths just by the thought of it .
She stayed back at Thwai Tola Pata Nala through the many Sunni Shia riots and was sane enough to give my mother's hand to my dad who worked in Mumbai since 1937 ..my dad was 15 they say when he left Lucknow my mother was 15 when she married my dad and came to live with him in the slums of Kurla Bakhar .I was born in Lucknow at my grandmother's house .
I don't like Lucknow it did not get into my bloodstream I am a pucca Mumbaikar.And now a Bandraite.

I am on Flickr Instagram You Tube